meatless monday: harissa carrot salad
As the title of this blog suggests, I’m not the most coordinated of people. I’m not a total mess, mind you. In fact, were you to meet me you may even roll your eyes and suggest that I’m exaggerating. And perhaps I do a bit. But emphasis on the “bit”.
After putting all the spices and oil into a pan, I momentarily left the kitchen to grab a ringing phone. In that time, I a) managed to forget that I was warming these spices up and b) started to wonder why someone was toasting marshmallows on a warm summer evening. Wait a second. Rushing back into the kitchen, I found this.
My recipe print-out was well on its way to ashes, but I caught it in time. Lesson that I should’ve learned, but likely didn’t? Don’t leave your recipe right next to the burner of your glass top burner. Have I mentioned how much I miss my gas stove? Any time anything goes wrong in the kitchen, I blame it on not having gas burners.
There’s a happy ending to this story though as the recipe was saved, the spices weren’t burned and the salad was just lovely. In fact, I’ve kept that burned recipe and have made it twice more since then. As an added bonus, I get a good laugh every time I pull out the piece of paper.
harissa carrot salad
slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 3/4 pound carrots, peeled, trimmed and coarsely grated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds*
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds*
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon harissa (add more if you like it hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 100 grams feta, crumbled or chopped into bits
*if using ground spices, use half the amount.
- In a small sauté pan, cook the garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika, harissa and sugar in the oil until fragrant, about one to two minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Pour over the carrots and mix.
- Add the herbs and mix.
- Leave to infuse for an hour and add the feta before eating.